Wednesday, 27 April 2016

SPHPM profiles PhD candidate Oyun Chimeddamba

Oyun Chimeddamba has travelled from Mongolia to complete her PhD with us at SPHPM, and will be submitting her thesis by publication in a few months’ time. She has greatly enjoyed walking in neighbouring Fawkner Park, but is especially passionate about world history. She loves to spend her weekends swimming, walking and reading history.

Q: Can you summarise your thesis in two or three sentences?

A:
My PhD examines three domains to addressing the noncommunicable disease (NCD) burden in Mongolia – prevalence, policy and practice for the control and prevention of NCDs in Mongolia. The study estimating the prevalence of obesity among the Mongolian adults provided trends and dynamics in the obesity prevalence over time. The policy analysis of the NCD-related policy documents demonstrated that the importance of a timely and coordinated response to the emerging burden of NCDs appears to be well recognised by the Government of Mongolia. The study on the implementation practice of the clinical guidelines on hypertension and diabetes identified several core drivers for the successful implementation.


Q: What were you doing before you started your PhD and where?

A: Prior to coming to Australia to complete my PhD, I worked as a Director of the Health Insurance Department at the Mongolian Social Insurance Agency (2006-2009). I also served as a national consultant for the evaluation of the 2008-2012 United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) Country Program in Mongolia. Recently I have worked as a Team Leader for the consultancy services on community mobilisation and capacity building for the Asian Development Bank (ADB) funded project on improving access to health care for disadvantaged groups of people in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia (2009-2012).

Q: Do you have any idea of what you'd like to do after finishing?

A: I plan to return to Mongolia following completion of my PhD to bring my skills back to the Mongolian health system, in which I was employed for about 20 years. I will be working either in academia or with the Ministry of Health in Mongolia.

Q:
What's been the greatest challenge and how did you overcome it?

A:
The first publication has been the greatest challenge. I overcame this challenge by attempting to improve and revise my manuscript.

Q: How did you hear about SPHPM and why did you choose it?

A:
I first heard about SPHPM through my friend from New Zealand who has also completed her PhD at this department of SPHPM some years ago. In addition, my colleague from Mongolia also has completed his PhD in Queensland, Australia. We exchanged a lot of ideas about me going to Australia to pursue my doctoral study. Then, I was searching some information through the Monash University website and ended up applying here for the PhD program.

Q:
Which three words best describe SPHPM?

A:
High standard, student-friendly supportive environment and advanced technology.

No comments:

Post a Comment

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...